10.16.2009

My Reflections on the Million Man March & Holy Day of Atonement

I was at the Million Man March in Washington D.C. on October 16, 1995. It was one of the greatest days of my life, and an experience that I will never forget.

As I reflect on the the wonderful spirit of that day, I am reminded of how hopeful and inspired I felt on that day, along with many others. I know there are some that would say that there was no programmatic thrust or agenda, and those people see it from their perspective. Their minds may be dominated by a particular socio-political leaning or some other type of ideology, but to me that is not what the day should be judged by. In fact, the day should not be judged at all, it should be remembered as a powerful demonstration of unity and brotherhood that has never been seen on the planet.

Thank you Minister Farrakhan.

The Million Man March had a special meaning to me, because in a little over a month, my first child, a daughter would be born. I promised God on that day, that I would always be in my daughter's life as a provider, protector and guide. Then, five years later I was blessed with a son, which gave me with the opportunity to continue to make my word bond. Those beautiful children are blessings from God, and wonderfully effective reminders of the promise I made to Him on that day.

Another memorable aspect of the Million Man March involves the wonderful acts kindness demonstrated by those who opened their homes for people to stay there during the Million Man March and those who cooked food for the Black men who made the pilgrimage. Those stories are everywhere!

I always think about the good brother in Phoenix, who was unable to attend the Million Man March himself, but gave me a plane ticket to Washington D.C., so I did not have to buy one. That act alone is a good example of the powerful spirit that was generated by the idea of the Million Man March. That brother...he knows who he is...I always pray that he will receive continuous blessings as a result of that act of kindness. I am sure that there are hundreds, if not thousands of stories similar to my own.

I also want to take the time to remember and thank the Black Women who supported us, encouraged us, and worked to make the Million Man March and Holy Day of Atonement a success. It could not have been done without the Black Woman.

Thank you Black Woman.

The Holy Day of Atonement is now a part of our reality and we must continue to make good on the pledge we gave that day. Obviously, if you look around at the conditions that exist within our communities, there is still work to do, but as long as we are alive, let's be found striving to make our word bond. It is time to fulfill the prophecy written of in Isaiah 61:4.

So, as I type this from my hotel room in Memphis, Tennessee as we prepare to commemorate the 14th anniversary of the Million Man March and Day of Atonement, let the spirit drive us to do the work.

By the way, anyone who speaks out negatively against the Million Man March, or in some way attempts to downplay and diminish its importance is displaying the characteristics of one who is an enemy to the Black Nation.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you made your word Bond Beloved.

For Brother Curtis; is was the love we needed for the Brother's who was not cultivated by his physical seed. A true Reflection of God = Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah
Stepping up to do the Job of a Free Black man, Blessing the
Spiritual seed (Abraham/Ishmael/Isaac)
By which all the Brother;s did need. So with that "I love My Father" and my life is a New.