10.11.2013

Reflections on Kwame Kilpatrick's 28-year sentencing


November 4, 2009 interview with former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick

On Monday, Nov 1st, 2009, I received an unexpected call on my cell phone from former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. I hadn't talked with him for quite some time, but always let him know whenever we talked that I'd be available to provide him the opportunity to share what he felt comfortable to share when he was ready. 

He always said 'No doubt Ashahed. I will. I promise, you'll be the first I call."

You've probably heard by now that he was sentenced to 28-years in prison.

He has always loved and supported Minister Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam. While most observers who have followed the saga and those in the know agree that he made mistakes, many believe his support of the Nation of Islam, and relationship with the Minister is one of the main reasons he was targeted so viciously by law enforcement and other business and political foes both Black and White. 
 
Many will continue to debate that issue as well as whether such harsh sentencing was warranted.

When he called, he told me he would be in Chicago in a couple of days and wanted to know if I'd be available to sit down for that interview he promised me. On Nov. 4, 2009, he made his word bond. Myself and Videographer Warren Muhammad met him early in the morning at a luxury hotel downtown for the interview.

One thing stands out to me is when he said: "Sometimes your gift takes you to a place that your character is not prepared to handle." I wish there were more people (especially publicly elected officials) on this planet with the courage to be so honest.

Another thing I remember is that he said he trusted me and The Final Call more than the mainstream media to share his thoughts because he was confident that we would 'get it right.'

Below is the link to the FCN interview and segments are also available for viewing on YouTube. Check it out and share your thoughts if you like.

[Archive] Kwame Kilpatrick - Exclusive FCN Interview (Nov. 2009) 
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Perspectives_1/article_6576.shtml

No comments: