11.11.2013

Remembering the Tuskegee Airmen and all Black Veterans of foreign wars



Early this morning (at like 3AM) I happened to catch this documentary on PBS dealing w/ members of the Tuskegee Airmen from Western Pennsylvania. I enjoyed it thoroughly and although I actually toured the Tuskegee Airmen Museum and visited Moten Field in Tuskegee, Alabama earlier this year, I gained an even deeper appreciation for what they had to endure upon hearing more of the back story in this documentary.

Your views on them fighting for the United States notwithstanding, their sacrifices and struggles should be known to Black people and all people. That's definitely a discussion that needs to be had, but, the fact remains, Veterans Day is not just for White Veterans. Black men have lost their lives in many of this country's foreign wars. Let's not let them be written out of history and let's place it in its proper context for future generations who WILL have a land of their own to fight for. 

I have some photos from that tour. If I can find them, I may post some.

Documentary Info: http://www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/vLinkTitle/FLY+BOYS+WESTERN+PENNSYLVANIA+S+TUSKEGEE+AIRMEN

No comments: